If you want to be admitted to research-only master's or PhD programs you can apply at any time of the year.
There are several steps to follow:
Contact the faculty or school
Contact a graduate research coordinator in the appropriate school to get all the information you need related to the specific area of research.
- Discuss the availability of supervision for the proposed field of study before lodging a formal application.
- Consult UWA's Research Publications and Expertise for information on appropriate supervisors at UWA.
- Read the profiles of our Research Leaders, who may be potential supervisors.
- Prepare a brief (maximum 250 words) outline of the proposed area of study to discuss with a prospective supervisor.
Lodge an application
This applies to all applicants, including current UWA students.
If you are a citizen / permanent resident of Australia, you should forward the application for postgraduate study and the postgraduate research supplementary form to the Graduate Research and Scholarships Office.
Australian citizens and permanent residents applying for scholarships in the Australian and University Postgraduate Awards have a different application process.
Applicants should complete the online application form on the Scholarships website.
There are different application processes according to whether you will be a full-fee paying student or you are applying for a UWA scholarship.
Full-fee paying applications
This applies to:
- private self-supporting student
- student sponsored by your home government, university or employer
- applicant with an external scholarships
- applicants for full-fee admission.
How to apply
- Identify a supervisor and read about research at UWA.
- Prepare your research proposal (approximately 200 to 250 words).
- Download and complete an application form (available below).
- In your application, provide the necessary supporting documentation (such as your English language competence test results, academic transcripts, passport ID page, and any other documentation for course-specific requirements).
- Submit your application to UWA's International Centre Admissions
OR to an authorised UWA representative.
- Higher Degree by Research applications are accepted via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are applying for International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) you should complete the online application form on the Scholarships website.
Applicants for the UWA China Scholarships for International Research Fees (UWA China Scholarships) need to complete and submit the Postgraduate International Student Application Form.
When an application is received, if it has not already been signed by the head of school, it is sent to the designated school for consideration.
The signature of the head of school acts as a recommendation to the Board of the Graduate Research School and indicates that the detail of the application, including the supervisor(s), starting date and field of study, is acceptable to the school.
Heads of school are asked to comment on a variety of items relating to candidature, including a student's research preparation, funding and resources for the project and the availability of appropriate supervision.
Approval, offer and enrolment
All applications are considered in full by the Graduate Research and Scholarships Office.
If you are successful, you will receive a detailed letter which clearly states the terms of enrolment and requirements for master's or PhD. This letter provides you with an authority to enrol and should be taken to the Graduate Research and Scholarships Office in Hackett Hall on the day you wish to start your course. You will be provided with an enrolment form which you will need to check and sign.
Any intended variations to the terms of enrolment must be approved by the graduate research coordinator and the Board of the Graduate Research School.