All applicants for a research higher degree, including Australian applicants, must satisfy the requirements for English language competence set down by the Board of the Graduate Research School.
Graduates from UWA do not have to satisfy a test of English to enter further courses at UWA. However, graduates from other Universities, Australian or international, are not automatically assumed to have demonstrated English Language Proficiency despite that they may have studied some or all of the courses in English. Each application is considered individually. In most cases a formal English qualification is required. Applicants who wish to seek exemption from undertaking a test must request this explicitly.
All English test results must normally have been obtained within the past two years. Higher scores are required for applicants in certain faculties, as indicated below.
- Qualification through WACE, TEE or equivalent
- Pass in English, English Literature, or English as a Second Language
- GCE Ordinary Level English (GCSE and IGCSE)
- C6 or higher
- TOEFL (paper-based total)
- 570 with a Test of Written English (TWE) of no less than 4.5
Scholarship applicants require 580, with 45 in the Test of Spoken English (TSE) and 4.5 in the Test of Written English (TWE)
- IBT TOEFL (Internet-based test score)
- 82 with 22 for writing, 20 for speaking, 20 for listening, and 18 for reading
- IELTS (Academic)
- 6.5 (no band lower than 6.0)
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
- C pass
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English
- B grade
- CELT Bridging Course
- Overall score of 70% with a minimum of 65% for each section
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) (Academic)
- Overall score of 64 with a minimum score of 64 in the Reading and Writing Sections, and no less than 54 in the other sections. The Faculty of Law requires an overall score of 70 with a minimum score of 70 in each section
- Other qualifications assessed on an individual basis
Note: Australian Government visa regulations require higher English scores for applicants from some countries.
Special faculty requirements
Higher English scores are required for admission to higher degrees in some faculties at UWA:
- Law: overall IELTS of 7.5, with a minimum score of 7.5 for reading and writing and a minimum of 7.0 for speaking and listening.
- Education: overall IELTS score of 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 in reading and writing.
- Dentistry: overall IELTS score of 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 in reading and writing.
- Business: overall IELTS score of 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 in reading and writing.