Manage, organise and develop museum collections, and conduct related research.
As a Curator, you would seek positions in museums and art galleries, although you may be required to travel to seek work.
Gallery and Museum Curators:
- acquire items for the collections in their care
- examine items to determine condition and authenticity
- identify and classify specimens, and arrange conservation and restoration work
- keep and maintain records about all items in the collection
- organise and participate in display teams which may involve travelling or arranging for loan exhibitions
- initiate and maintain research and publication programs, and establish networks and assist other professionals on request
- lecture and write about the collections, and answer public enquiries
- supervise support staff and organise administrative duties associated with the use and care of the collection
The following study pathway shows the most common and direct route for a UWA student to pursue this career.
Relevant majors include:
Postgraduate study is not necessarily required for this occupation, but may be helpful for career advancement.
Relevant postgraduate courses include:
Research study is not necessarily required for this occupation, but may be helpful for career advancement.
Relevant research courses include:
I think that my studies in history are at the core of what I have done over the past two decades or so. After completing second year at UWA in 1985, I worked as a newspaper journalist in Perth and Kalgoorlie. Later, I travelled through Africa, Asia and Europe, working as a journalist in London.
I came back to Perth and completed Honours in History before starting a PhD in the 1990s, tutoring in the History Department and working as a contract historian on heritage projects, public histories and documentary films. Then, I took a job as a curator at the Western Australian Museum before moving to the National Museum of Australia, in Canberra. Studying history is the best work experience you can get – it sets you up for a wide range of jobs and experiences.